Pastor Norm Poultney
I grew up in Red Lion, Delaware within walking distance of the Red Lion United Methodist Church. This church and it’s pastor, Irvin R. Pusey had a powerful, effect on my life and my girlfriend’s life, (now my wife Sally). I graduated from the University of Delaware with a BA in Psychology and earned my Master of Divinity at the Eastern Baptist Seminary (now called Palmer Seminary). I have served in the Cherry Hill/Baldwin Charge in Cecil Co. Md., Choptank Charge in Dorchester Co. Md., Rock Hall Charge in Kent Co. Md., Red Lion Church in New Castle Co., Asbury/Minquadale Charge in New Castle Co., and Atlantic UMC in Ocean City, Md. I retired from Atlantic UMC in 2013 and began the adventure of pastoring the Hickory Hill UMC near Millsboro, DE. Sally and I are having a blast. I am enjoying the time to spend hours every morning in God’s presence, listening and learning from the Word of God.
In November of 2016, I was invited to join the journey of the Bayside Chapel located between Fenwick Island and Selbyville on Route 54 in Williamsville, in addition to the Hickory Hill UMC on Molly Field Road between Hickory Hill Road and Rt. 113, Dagsboro/Millsboro. Now the party continues! My passion is preaching and teaching the beautiful Word of God and hiking the woods and fields of Sussex Co. and Sally’s passion is quilting, crafting, scrapbooking, computer technology and grandkids. When I came to Bayside Chapel, I promised to do certain things.
This is what I promise to do:
- I promise never to preach a stale sermon left over from last year, but I will listen for a “fresh” word from God each week.
- I promise never to give you my opinion about the Bible or my philosophy on life, but I will bring you the truth of God’s Holy Word.
- I promise never to poll the congregation about what direction we should take, but together we will get in step with Jesus and follow Him wherever He goes.
- I promise never to teach only my favorite Scriptures, but I will teach the whole gospel truth regardless of how uncomfortable it may be.
- I promise never to lead the church, but we will discern where Jesus is and where He is heading and together we will follow Him wherever He leads.
I invite you to join us in this adventure in discipleship. If you are searching for a church, your search is over. Welcome to Bayside Chapel.
I am Expectantly Yours,
Pastor Norm Poultney